Monday, March 17, 2008

"There is only one person who could ever make you happy, and that person is you." ~David Burns~

I haven't been doing a blog every day. Sitting for extended periods in front of the computer is still painful (I think it's the chair) But I've been waiting for Christian to finish his homework so I can take the kids to the library (books are due today, of course I always wait until the absolute due date . . . we'll work on that.)

On the bright side, I've been getting more done around the house because I feel better if I move more often instead of sitting on my butt all day!

On today's quote . . .

"There is only one person who could ever make you happy, and that person is you." ~David Burns~

I like this quote. I've been there where I thought I could never be happy without a certain person in my life . . . where that person had ultimate control over my happiness. That is no way to live. I now know that I can be happy all by myself, if need be. If something happened between me and Adam, I would find happiness again. If, God forbid, something happened to one of my kids, I could eventually find happiness again. My happiness does not depend on anyone or anything but myself and God. And that is a comfort. Adam would not want my world to end if something happened to him. Neither would my kids. No one who truly loves you would want you to be miserable for the rest of your life, or ever for that matter. As far as people making me happy, like my kids, they only make me happy if I remember to enjoy them. The things they say and do. It starts with me. They make me happy only be cause I choose to enjoy them. A person only makes you happy if you choose to appreciate what they say and do. A lot of time this is automatic, but sometimes we have to make the conscious decision. Even with kids, sometimes it's a conscious effort to appreciate my kids. But always worth while. People come and go in our lives, no one lives forever. Isn't it a comfort to know that all we need is ourselves to be happy?

If you need more than yourself to be happy, it may be time to think about it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting people in your life, spending times with them, enjoying them. But we want to be self-sufficient also. Our happiness depends on it.

Love you and think of you often,
MOTH3R

No comments: