Monday, March 3, 2008

"Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities." ~Aristotle~

Okay the next quote is a little preachy (like I haven't been preachy this whole time, but this is for myself as much as anyone else!)

"Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities." ~Aristotle~

(BTW, I'm setting my timer for 15mins, and I'm going to stop there, so this is probably going to be pretty short.)

I think this saying if we are a little less self-centered we would be happier. And I can agree with it. I find that I am happier when I am not focusing on myself. Though it's always fun to reminisce over good and bad times, dwelling on the past usually distracts from the present and the future. I also find that I'm happier when I think about what I can do for others, whether their my family, my friends, my acquaintances, my coworkers, or just people in general. Making someone else happy, or at least making them feel better, or making something easier for them or whatever the case may be makes me feel happier. And that's a good thing.

Now, I can't even begin to claim I spend all my time in "virtuous activities." But I think, maybe making more of a point of doing "virtuous activities" might help me in my quest in living a happier life.

I'll leave you to decide for yourself what "virtuous activities" are. I don't think there is anything wrong with pastimes and amusements. But they are fleeting, while doing something for the good of others, man or God lasts a lifetime.

Well, I still have over 6 mins, but I don't think I need to grind this one into the ground.

In my thots and prayers!
MOTH3R

No comments: